Upcoming event honoring WWII warriors - Tuskegee Airmen Virtual Gala - 27 March, 7PM (Eastern)
Have you thought about honoring and maintaining the legacy of our remaining WWII veterans, especially during the age of COVID? I am part of a group addressing the challenge head on by helping the East Coast Chapter of the venerable Tuskegee Airmen Inc (ECCTAI) arrange a virtual Gala for the 80th anniversary of the Tuskegee Airmen Experiment on 27 March at 7PM (Eastern.) ECCTAI is now down to 6 Tuskegee Airmen and in addition to learning about the proud history of the Tuskegee Units, the Gala presentation will also focus on these 6 Airmen. The funds raised will be used to support the Youth in Aviation Program. Please RSVP at Tuskegee Airmen 80th Anniversary - The Legacy Lives On - Virtual Gala.
IMPORTANT UPDATES :
1) The Post Scholarship has been updated. Please visit the Scholarship tab to the left for information.
2) COVID MESSAGING - The health and safety of our American Legion Family is of the utmost importance to our Post. Prior to entering our home, you must satisfy all of the Virginia Department of Health protocols and acknowledge that you have adhered, and will continue to adhere, to these expectations for the foreseeable future to maintain our Post’s prevention and safety objectives. In line with this you will now see a sign on the Post door asking you to not enter if you are confirmed or assumed to have COVID, or awaiting test results. It also mentions VDH recommendations regarding returning from travelling outside the area or country. Please see the CLUB 180 tab on this website for the full text.
3) CLUB 180 in Patriot Hall - Due to ongoing repairs the downstairs is closed, so until further notice Club 180 is being hosted in Patriot Hall, so please enter the building through the upstairs entrance and see the bartender to sign in, have your temperature taken, and check your membership card.
The Commonwealth of Virginia’s Executive Order 72 and the Virginia Phase three is in effective as of 14 December. Please click HERE if you’d like to read it yourself. We understand the 10-patron rule, but understand, you cannot shift tables around to close the space in order to "gather" at a distance. It is recommended that if you are not from the same household, staying separate is a best practice, i.e. congregating around the Tiki Bar three feet apart for instance does not follow the guideline. We will be stringently enforcing the guidelines set in place by the Governor and the Public Health Department.
- For those who wear a single layer cloth mask (handkerchief, bandana, single layer neck gaiter, etc.), it is encouraged that you wear a double layer mask of a heavier material. If you can feel your breath on the outside blowing through it, you are more than likely inhaling the particles in the air and putting yourself and others at risk. Click HERE to see the CDC’s suggestions for effective mask selection and wear. Please remember that the staff wear their masks to protect you, please help protect them by wearing a mask.
- Your health and safety are our number one concern as is the health and safety of the Club employees. If the Club employees ask or remind you of a violation, please keep in mind, we all forget and they are helping you to remember and keep them and the members healthy and safe. I would ask that you please not give them a hard time.
- Thank you all for doing your part in keeping us all safe by wearing masks at the post and for continuing to make your curbside orders. If you have any issues, concerns, opinions, complaints or thoughts about the operations of the Club, please direct them to me and not the Club staff.
Even with all the COVID restrictions we hope you all are having a great New Year.
Welcome to our Post!! We are nestled in a lovely residential neighborhood and you'll know you've arrived when you see our red, white, and blue Nike Missile static display next to our flag pole! Post 180 was founded in, Vienna, Virginia in 1937. Our post is officially American Legion Dyer-Gunnell Post 180 and is Vienna's oldest Community Service organization. Today, we have members from every military service, including Space Force! Joining our Post enables you to continue serving your God, Country and Community. Our mission is to implement the goals, aspirations, dreams, peace and blessings for our country, friends and families.
Our General Membership Meeting is on the 1st Wednesday of each month at 7:00 PM in our post's Patriot Hall, see the Patriot Hall section on this website for more details. NOTE: Until further notice our GMMs are being held by Zoom due to COVID-19.
The Dyer-Gunnell Post home sits on the site of the Civil War Star Fort constructed by Union forces during the period 1863-1865. We are members of the Virginia Civil War Trails. Our Post's name, Dyer-Gunnell, pays tribute to two men from the Town of Vienna, VA, who gave their all for our great country in World War I. Corporal George Bryant Dyer and Private Clarence Leith Gunnell were both killed in action in France in 1918. See our History Page for more details on the Star Fort and our name sakes.
The Post 180 family includes the vibrant Sons of the American Legion Squadron 180 and the American Legion Auxilary Unit 180. Please see their sections on our website for more details.
You will know you've arrived when you see the flagpole next to the status display missile, painted red, white and blue! The Post Home consists of a two-level building on several acres. In addition, there is also a pavilion and picnic area. Before entering the public entrance to the upper level visitors, will crossed over our Honor Walk of engraved bricks dedicated to members of the armed forces. Upon entering you will find a small museum of donated uniforms from all services (except Space Force at this point, though we have Space Force members!) Next you will enter Patriot Hall, which is available for rental for gatherings of 30 to 220 people. Full details are on the Patrior Hall section of this site. The foyer also has a beautiful Honor Bench created by our own ALA member and locale artist, Joyce Myers. She titled it "Honor to all who Serve" and it was purchased by the Post at the a fund raiser for the Vienna Arts Society. The Post’s lower level entrance opens directly into Club 180, which is open to all visitors for food, and non-alcoholic beverages. Post members, with their member cards, and their guests can also enjoy beer and wine service. The schedule and menu vary, so please see our Club 180 section on this website.
Our Post is honored to have PNC Dan Dellinger, Past National Commander of the American Legion, and his wonderful wife Margaret, as members. PNC Dellinger was elected the National Commander on 29 August 2013. He grew up in Vienna, Virginia, graduating from James Madison High School and holds a Bachelor of Arts degree from Indiana University of Pennsylvania. He served in the U.S. Army during Vietnam as a company commander. He continued to serve in the reserves where he earned the rank of captain. Dan owned his own construction management and general contracting company, excelling for over twenty years working with owners and architects building commercial buildings in the Washington DC area. He has served in many capacities throughout his career to include State Commander of the Department of Virginia, National Membership Chairman, National Aerospace and National Legislative Council Committee Chairman, National Economics Commission Chairman, and Chairman of the National Security Commission. In 2011, President Obama appointed Dan to a Federal Taskforce on Small Business Administration hiring.
Since 1966, the Post has hosted an American Legion Baseball team, which plays and aggressive schedule, including participation in an All-Star-Game. Young men to the age of 18 are eligible and Legion affiliation is not required. For up to the minute details please see the team's Twitter account.
Post 180 has a strong commitment to community events and organizations. A significant portion of our income is donated to veteran-focused activities, such as support for residents at Department of Veterans Affairs Medical Centers and the Virginia Veterans Home. We participate in many local events, including the Hallowen Parade, Viva Vienna, and the 9/11 Remembrance Ceremony.
To the wonderful patriotic citizens of the Town of Vienna please contact us if you would like to join our Post as a Booster or Sponsor. 100% of the monies raised are given back to the community. Help us to continue sponsoring Scholarships for our children; give aid and assistance to our local needy Veterans, and their families. Help us to continue to support financially worthy community programs and projects.
Page Owner - Chris Hauth
Next Page >>